One of the challenges for Julie Hedlund’s 12 Days of Christmas for Writers is to write a list of things we are grateful for in our writing life during 2016. It’s so easy to focus on the negative’s, but this exercise made me focus on something positive, and not just the successes.
I thought I’d put some of those things here on my blog.
In 2016, I was grateful for:
- My amazing kids. Both have had massive challenges with their health in 2016, but dealt with it all with good grace. In spite of everything they were going through, they were still encouraging of my writing and helped me so much with the publication of 3… 2… 1… Done!
- My good friend, Julie Anne Grasso, who spent many Sunday mornings with me spreading the word about our books, as well as talking about writing. While they were challenging for family time, they were pleasant times, and we have quite a few more kids enjoying our books!
- My amazing editor & publisher, Julieann Wallace from Lilly Pilly Publishing, who worked long and hard on my second book this year.
- The Meet the Publishers conference earlier in 2016. I was lucky enough to win a scholarship, enabling me to spend an amazing day with other authors. I can’t wait until the 2017 conference.
- Monash Public Library Service – they gave me an amazing opportunity to run a regular teen writers group as well as run some school holiday activities.
- For writing and for books. In a difficult year, they have been my lifeline. I have spent many hours in waiting rooms in hospital and doctor’s surgeries, and being able to read a book or work on a new story has been wonderful.
- For everyone who reads my books and encourages me. This includes family and friends, as well as people who pick up my books at markets, buys them online, and even everyone who reads my blog.
This is not an exhaustive list, and this was a wonderful exercise to kick start the year. Happy New Year for 2017, this is going to be a fantastic year!